CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Wanted: Better Processing Capability


In the last couple of days I've been dissatisfied with my brain's ability to process more than one set of information at a time. Here's my dilemma: I need to read a couple of books and some info on web sites to learn some things for work. At the same time I want to listen to something, but not necessarily music. I'd really prefer to listen to the last couple of This American Life podcasts that I haven't had a chance to hear yet. The problem is that I can't take in the reading material and the details of the stories from TAL at the same time. Why is it impossible for the brain (at least my brain) to process 2 sets of data at a time? It can give commands to and receive information from several body parts at a time. It can perform all the body's involuntary functions without blinking an eye...well, you know what I mean. I need a dual core brain. Anybody want to let me borrow some of your capacity? Thanks anyway.

4 comments:

caulfieldkid said...

it appears it's not possible (quote 3/4 down the article says you can only concentrate on one thing at a time), and it is supposedly not good to attempt multitasking.

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-143008335.html

caulfieldkid said...

oh yeah, forgot, I will listen to TAL for you so don't worry about that.

Tim said...

What were you saying? I was listening to something while I was reading your post.

Tim said...

I will often do stuff for work on my laptop after the kids go to bed in front of a TV program. Not long into it, I've completely missed something in the TV program that was critical to the plot.

At work I can only listen to music unless I'm doing something completely brainless. I save the podcasts for yard work and exercise.